West Lothian Foodbank is looking for a part time Development officer (18 hours per week) for 18 months.
NOTE: New Closing Date is Monday 23rd April 2018.
If you are interested please fill in the Staff application form below and email it with a recent CV or hand them in, in person to our admin office or post it to our admin address. Use the locations link at the top to find the relevant address.
This post operates as the Development Officer with responsibility for both the commercial subsidiary and charitable activities of West Lothian Foodbank. This post has responsibility for developing the sustainability of the Foodbank, as well as developing strong links with partners and referral agents throughout West Lothian. They will also have responsibility for monitoring key information on who uses the service ensuring this information is fed through to demonstrating the impact of our service and embarking on a proactive marketing and promotions campaign, both to raise awareness of our service as well as to ensure we get donations of items needed for our food parcels.
Responsibilities will include.
- Service development in response to evolving service user needs. Ensuring a clear understanding of the service user journey and identifying services and support that could additionally be offered to service users leading to building their capacity and independence as well as reducing their reliance on the foodbank.
- Marketing and promotions – coordinating a range of marketing activities and promotional tools to reach different audiences including funders, service users, referral agents and partners.
- Developing sponsorship opportunities – identifying potential sponsors for not only cash sponsorship but also support in kind offering expertise in particular areas including logistics, stock control and marketing design and print.
- Strategic links – representation on local planning groups and liaison with sector partners, the local authority etc. Assist in the delivery of new and existing partnership agreements, (both formal and informal) and managing these relationships appropriately.
- Working with the Board, staff team and members, to promote West Lothian Foodbank’s vision and mission.
- Networking – representing the organisation not only within the community but also to the press and media, local authority and other key stakeholders.
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of our services. Gathering and presenting key performance indicators for the Board and management and for ongoing promotion to a range of stakeholders including funders, service users and partners.
- Developing the sustainability of the organisation through the charity shop and investigating the potential that could be gained from the use of a warehouse facility, working alongside partners. This will involve scoping out how the charity shop can increase sales through research as well as arranging discussions with stakeholders that could be involved in a joint warehousing project.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS.
- An appreciation & understanding of the aims of West Lothian Foodbanks, and foodbanks in general.
- Excellent inter – personal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Able to work in an unsupervised manner whilst meeting pre-defined targets and deadlines.
- Computer literate –thorough practical working knowledge of software packages such as Word, Excel etc.
- Good organisational skills.
- Experience of working with volunteers and voluntary board.Preferable
- At least two years’ experience working in the third sector, if possible within the anti-poverty or food poverty sector.
- Knowledge and practical experience of the voluntary sector.
- Previous experience in development and marketing.Applicants attending interviews for the post will be required to demonstrate how they possess the required skills and knowledge listed above with examples from their previous employment and/or voluntary work.A relevant Higher Education qualification in Marketing, Business Management or Business Studies such as HNC, SVQ, Diploma or degree in one of the relevant fields.
- Location of WorkplaceThe post will consist of office-based duties, but the successful applicant will be expected to travel throughout West Lothian on a regular basis.The office base at the moment is in the Whitburn area.Hours of WorkThe nature of the post will require a flexible approach to working hours. Standard weekly hours are nominally 18 hours, this may include evening work as required by the program and seasonal variation will occur.No overtime will be authorised, however flexible work hours can be accrued and Time off In Lieu (TOIL) given back.Annual leave
The post holder will be eligible for 25 days annual leave in addition to public bank holidays, calculated pro-rata.
Expenses and Travel
The successful applicant will be expected to provide their own transport for duties associated with the post.
Mileage will be reimbursed at the standard West Lothian Council rate of 45p/mile for the first 10,000 and 25p/mile thereafter. All expenses will be paid on production of authorised VAT receipts and in arrears.
Up to the maximum of 10,000 miles pa, journeys over 100 must be authorised by the Board
The post-holder will be required to have own transport and a full clean driving licence with suitable insurance allowing business mileage.
This job description sets out the duties and responsibilities of the post at the time when it was drawn up. Such duties and responsibilities may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are common occurrence and cannot themselves justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.
Closing date is Monday 23rd April 2018, Interviews expected week beginning Monday 30th April 2018.